Saturday, July 11, 2009

Entangled in Fingerless Gloves

This post is just a quick show and tell for a fairly recent finished object (I don't have time to write a ton- I want to spend all of my time knitting my enchanted forest body!). Here are my Entangled Fingerless Gloves.


I've been ogling the
Entangled Stitches gloves pattern for several months now, but I didn't have the energy during the school year to start such an intricate undertaking. I had just looked at the pattern enough, however, to know that I would be modifying it to make the gloves fingerless- I figured it would be tempting fate too much to spend so much time on a piece of winter outerwear I would inevitably lose. But at the beginning of May, with exams done and our annual Oregon vacation just a week away, I decided it was high time to dive in- I wanted a pair of fingerless gloves for chilly morning hikes and misty walks on the beach. Now, a logical girl might have turned toward a quick, bulky mitt like Leafy, which has also been in my queue for some time. But logic escaped me altogether when I walked into Loopy Yarns and found a skein of Malabrigo sock in the vibrant Solis- the ideal yarn for entangled.

When the first day of knitting found me only ten rows into a hundred row chart, I knew I didn't stand a chance of wearing these beauties in Oregon this year. But I loved the way they were turning out so much that I kept knitting them, even packing them as my primary trip project. I had a few qualms about trying to follow such an intricate chart while also trying to spot every waterfall hidden on the side of the road, taking in coastal scenery, and picking the cutest roadside espresso stand- but I decided to try it.


I'm so glad I did- because now each section of the pattern is linked with a beautiful trip memory. One part of the hand was knit while I was sitting in delicious anticipation of our takeoff at Midway Airport, another while Lopho and I were sipping delectable mochas from adorable Pirate's Coffee in Depoe Bay as we drove up the coast. The little finger happened as we crossed the coast range toward Portland, while the thumb got finished as I drank an incredible iced latte from the rural but fabulous Java Stop outside Salem. I even got compliments on the tiny gauge- one from the adorable older lady who sold us a pass to Wildwood Recreation Area, and another from the cheerful
knitter who made our drinks at the Dutch Bros. in Saint Helens. (Yes, obsessive consumption of espresso drinks is an integral part of our vacations to Oregon- how did you possibly guess?!)


I adore these gloves because they are exquisitely gorgeous- yet they will be eminently practical once the weather cools down enough to wear them. I want to knit more small and beautiful projects like these that I am not afraid to use, but that also make me happy just looking at them.

And speaking of projects that make me happy- I am almost done with the body of the Enchanted Forest! I should have some pictures of that next week... I'm hoping I'll even be able to wear it to the Midwest Folk and Fiber Fest.

No comments:

Post a Comment